Monday, March 12, 2012

I Am, Who I Believe I Am Becoming -Who I Am - Series


In the past weeks we have been discussing different subjects from the series, "Who I AM". Some of you have expressed how each blog has been informative and enlightening. I want to thank you for being faithful in reading them. I am grateful to the Lord for giving me the grace to facilitate such a weighty conversation. I was going to go deeper with this dialog but then I began to think just how simple this subject really is.

From the previous blogs we determined that the only one who can truly tell us who we are is God. I believe that the more time we spend communing with Him, not only in prayer and worship, and studying His Word, the more He reveals about Himself. The more we know about Him the more we will know about us. The closer we are to Him, the brighter His light shines on us and everything becomes clearer. Not only do things become clearer but the light can be so bright that it literally transforms us. Whatever was darkness in our life can no longer remain dark because the light over takes it. Apostle Paul declares, "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit" (2 Corinthians 3:18).

I want to use 1 John 3:1-3 as a reference for what I am about to say; therefore, let's read it together. "See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure".

We are children of God, becoming like our Father! If you noticed the scripture said, "now are we the sons of God but it has not yet appeared". How is it possible to be something NOW but it can't be seen? It is possible through God because He sees who I am now and who I am becoming.

Let me give you an example of what this means. A rose is inside a seed but you can't see it until it blooms. It is a rose though it looks like a seed. God sees the end from the beginning, even when neither you nor the others around you can see it. Remember, it is the "I" part of you that God sees.

If “I” am becoming, that means “I” am not who “I” was a month ago, a week ago or even five minutes ago. So as a son of God I need not be consumed with knowing who I am but rather, who I am becoming. My desire should be to look earnestly into the mirror of the glory of God with expectation of becoming like His image.

This however is much easier to read about than to walk out amidst the things that suggest the contrary. For this reason we must be sure of our existence in Him. When we look in the natural mirror, we must look beyond our fleshly appearance to the one we are becoming no matter what our natural eyes see.

We can spend our entire lives studying scripture and praying for hours. We can even throw in some fasting, but if we do not truly BELIEVE what God says about us -we will be on a frustrating quest to know who we are instead of enjoying the journey of becoming who God has predestined us to be.

That being said, with many of you the issue is not that you don't know who you are. It is your struggle to believe it. Everyday our minds are bombarded with the voice of the world, the flesh and the devil. All of them are trying to win space in our heart in order to choke out our belief in what God said. "If you be the son of God...do this or do that. If you be the son of God...you should have this or have that. If you be the son of God...” This “if you be the son of God” is an assault on who you believe God says you are. God says we are sons and what He says supersedes any other opinion. You have nothing to prove to yourself or anyone else. Just remain steadfast and allow yourself to become. It will all be revealed in time; His time that is.

I'll end this series with this statement-YOU ARE…who you believe YOU ARE BECOMING!

Maybe you are a new believer and you don't know what God has said. Maybe you try to read the Bible and honestly don't understand it. No worries, we have all been there. On the homepage of this website, in the bottom left hand corner, I have compiled a list of scriptures you can download and study. Let Father God speak to you. His desire is that we all know Him just as He knows us.


Daily Declaration-I AM A SON OF GOD
But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God. (Galatians 4:4-7 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment