Monday, May 21, 2012

Vision


My pastor spoke this Sunday about having a vision for your life.  As I listened to him teach I thought, "Thank You Lord for confirming what was in my heart". Pastor told us how important it was to have a vision and by the end of his sermon he asked us if we had one. If we did not, he encouraged us to seek the Lord through prayer and His Word, believing that He would reveal His plan to us.

What is a vision?

One definition for the word vision is: a prophecy.

So in essence pastor was asking; do we know the prophecy of God for our lives?

The Bible say's in Proverbs 29:18, "Where there is no vision, the people are unrestrained, but happy is he who keeps the law." Vision keeps you -on purpose. It keeps you in line with God's plan. Not your plan or the one someone else planned for you but God's plan.

We all have things we would like to do and places we want to go. I know for me, there are certain people or people groups in need, that I would like to help. It's all good and honorable but no matter how noble my aspirations, I must be sure that is it God's prophecy for me.

King David had a desire to build God a house to dwell in. This too was a good and honorable idea but it was not God's plan for David to build His house. As we see in 2 Samuel (please read this entire chapter). He had set this task aside for Solomon, King David's son to do. God spoke His vision/prophecy for David through the prophet Samuel and it was not just His plan for David and his son that was revealed but His plan for the entire Israelite nation. So having a good idea is just that "a good idea" but a "vision" from God is something far greater, it is God's prophecy spoken over our lives that keeps us on course.

There are specific things God has for each of us to do. God knows exactly what He has planned for us. In Jeremiah 29:11 the vision was given to the Israelites, "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." What stood out to me from this verse of scripture is I KNOW, I HAVE, FOR YOU. No matter what things look like or what others tell you, seek the prophecy of the Lord for yourself. Don’t despise prophecy from His prophets but remember God will always confirm His word.

Again, ask the Lord to reveal His plans to you because He knows what He has for you and no good thing will He withhold from those who love Him. If you already know the vision my question then is, does it restrain you? Are the things you're doing running smoothly parallel to His plan or causing a zig zag effect, leaving you confused?

I challenge you to spend some time today pondering this question.

What is your God-given vision?


Daily Declaration- I AM CALLED
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.  Romans 8:28-30 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment